|Birthday||June 28, 1988|
|Eliminated From The Glee Project|
|Date||June 12, 2012 (Dance-ability)|
Shes Dating Ali Stroker
Dani has been performing since she completed her very first talent competition in fifth grade and won second place. At age 16, after attending a theatre magnet program in High School, she started teaching herself how to play the guitar and write original songs, and has since written and independently released four albums and two singles. Dani made it on to the Top 48 of America’s Got Talent season six last year (2011), and gained a devoted following of online fans from doing so. She loves to mix up her acts with bits of comedy, rap, and audience participation. With such an independent attitude, Dani has expressed that she would want to play an androgynous female who bravely walks away from her Mormon upbringing, if she ever got the opportunity to be on Glee. Dani originally auditioned for The Glee Project at the Nashville open casting call.
- She is a vegan.
- She was raised within the Mormon church.
- She was a contestant on "America's Got Talent" in 2011.
- She has moved to New York (Brooklyn).
- She has a YouTube channel where she showcases her songwriting/singing abilities. She said in an interview with GLAAD that "Songwriting is something I get a lot of joy out of!"
- She said on Twitter she loves to improvise with her voice.
- She taught herself how to play the guitar at age 16.
- She likes to name her guitars (her newest one is named Rose).
- She tweeted "I was very laid back type at high school parties. I'm definitely a #peoplewatcher."
- She is technically a lesbian, as revealed in her interview with GLAAD (http://www.glaad.org/blog/dani-shay-speaks-glaad), saying ": I was 18 when I finally embraced my feelings for women fully. I still didn't understand my gender identity so well, but that's because we are raised to think you are either A or B- Girl or Boy- and that there are no in-betweens, or variations of the two. I see things differently now though- you can be however you want to be; there are no rules. My family was pretty supportive when I came out, as I don't think it was much of a surprise to anyone (I had been dropping hints all of my life, haha). But I do think it was hard for my Mom at first, just because the Mormon church I was raised in, doesn't exactly accept anything L,G,B,T or Q. She is amazing though, and has fully accepted me, my feelings, and all my life choices since then."
- However, she does not identify as a lesbian, as seen in her interview with Huffington Post: "People often want to call me a lesbian, which is accurate if you're looking at me as simply a female because yes, I do tend to gravitate toward other females. But the thing is that I don't view myself as only female, and I don't view myself as only male either. I feel like I'm a mix. It doesn't exactly feel accurate to call someone who feels that way a lesbian because of that male side of me. I don't think gender is so black-and-white. I think there are all these shades of gray that people want to overlook. That's not how the world works."
- She has never taken voice lessons before.
- Her favorite colors are shades of blue and green.
- She tweeted that her celebrity crush is Kate Winslet during Titanic. She also admires Hilary Swank and Ellen Degeneres.
- She says people that inspire her include Ani DiFranco, Alanis Morrisette and Eminem.
- Her mother is a midwife.
- She likes to make merchandise featuring quotes from her videos and songs that are available for her fans to buy, including shirts, capes and FUNderwear.
- She is the youngest in her family. She says she has two sisters who are very girly.
- She likes to draw and paint.
- She is the creator of an anti-bullying campaign called "Be More Heroic."
- She has five tattoos: a dreamcatcher on the inside of her right arm, a tree with a heart at the roots and a keyhole on the trunk on the inside of her left arm (symbolizing "the key to life is love"), a hummingbird on her left ankle, the heart symbol from the cover of her Free! EP on her hip, and a crown and a quote between her shoulder blades.
- After she was eliminated she cut her hair into a kind of mohawk style. (As seen on her "We Found Love" duet with Nellie)
- She used to work at Dandelion Communitea Cafe in Orlando.
- She has independently released four albums and two singles.
- She says she likes to mix up her acts by including comedy, rap and audience participation.
- Is currently dating fellow contender Ali Stroker .
- She released an EP, "One", including a duet of her and Ali singing "Let It Snow".
- She appears in a dance scene on Glee episode 4x14 titled I Do which aired on 2-14-13. She is dancing with another woman during the singing of "We've Got Tonite"
NC The contender had no comments from the mentor.
FB' The mentor gave the contender feedback since his/her performance could've been better.
- Dani Shay on YouTube